Pedal powerhouses: SASI cyclists race to victory at Oceania Track Cycling Championships
SASI cyclists put on an amazing display over five days of racing at the 2023 Oceania Track Cycling Championships.
Photo credit: Mat Gilfedder
The event saw Australia’s best elite, para-cycling and under-19 trackies go head-to-head with New Zealand on the boards of the Anna Meares Velodrome in Queensland.
SASI graduate Chloe Moran led the way in the trans-Tasman track rivalry, claiming an incredible four championship titles.
The South Australian’s stellar form from TrackNats continued at Oceania’s, winning the scratch race, omnium, and defending her points race title.
Moran was also victorious in the elite women’s team pursuit, alongside Claudia Marcks and fellow SASI graduates Sophie Edwards and Alli Anderson.
Blazing a trail for the para-cyclists, Paralympic gold medallist Darren Hicks (men’s C2) and Caitlin Ward (pilot for Jessica Gallagher) picked up three Oceania titles each.
SASI winners at 2023 Oceania Track Cycling Championships:
- Elite Men TS – Leigh Hoffman (with Matthew Richardson and Nathan Hart)
- Elite Women TP – Sophie Edwards, Alli Anderson, Chloe Moran (with Claudia Marcks)
- Elite Men TP – Oli Bleddyn (with Josh Duffy, Conor Leahy and Blake Agnoletto)
- Para TS Tandem – Caitlin Ward (pilot for Jessica Gallagher), Beau Wootton (pilot Byron Davies)
- Elite Women Scratch – Chloe Moran
- Para IP Men C2 – Darren Hicks
- Para Tandem Pursuit Women – Candice Kennedy/Kelly Fettes (pilot)
- Para TT Women C1 – Kaitlyn Schurmann
- Para TT WB – Caitlin Ward (pilot for Jessica Gallagher)
- Para TT MB – Beau Wootton (pilot Byron Davies)
- Elite Women Omnium – Chloe Moran
- Para Tandem Women Sprint – Caitlin Ward (pilot for Jessica Gallagher)
- Para Scratch Women C4 – Meg Lemon
- Para Scratch Men C2 – Darren Hicks
- Para Omnium Women C4 – Meg Lemon
- Para Omnium Men C2 – Darren Hicks
- Elite Men TT – Matthew Glaetzer
- Elite Women Points Race – Chloe Moran
Information sourced from AusCycling