The Robert Gerard AO Emerging Athlete Development Fund: supporting our Tokyo Games athletes
Starting out as junior athletes with big dreams is where it all began for 18 of our South Australian athletes, who will be living out the ultimate sporting dream at the Tokyo Games in the months to come.
While all these athletes possess talent, grit and determination; a financial commitment was also required to get them to this point.
The Robert Gerard AO Emerging Athlete Development Fund (RGEADF) played a key role in each of these athletes’ success, providing funding to help offset some of the costs that athletes (and their families) are required to pay, to represent their country.
Four of the earliest recipients were track cyclists Annette Edmondson (2009) and Matthew Glaetzer (2010) and rowers Alexander Hill (2010) and Olympia Aldersey (2010), who have all become seasoned world class athletes, securing a ticket to the Tokyo Games.
Athletes Angus Dawson (rowing) and Isabella Vincent (Paralympic swimming) are two of the most recent 2019 recipients of the RGEADF and with the benefit of the extra year’s delay, they will also be stepping up to represent in Tokyo.
Since its inception in 2007, the RGEADF has awarded 252 grants to 147 athletes across 22 different sports; supporting up-and-coming South Australian athletes in Games sports.
Tokyo team members who have received RGEADF:
- Annette Edmondson – Cycling – 2009
- Matthew Glaetzer – Cycling – 2010
- Tom Wickham – Hockey - 2010
- Olympia Aldersey – Rowing - 2010, 2011, 2012
- Molly Goodman – Rowing – 2011, 2013
- Alexander Hill – Rowing - 2011, 2012, 2013
- Anthony Dean – BMX - 2012
- Catherine McArthur – Canoe Sprint - 2013, 2014, 2015
- Josephine Bulmer – Canoe Sprint - 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Alexandra Manly – Cycling - 2013, 2014
- Alexander Porter – Cycling – 2014
- Kurtis Marschall – Athletics - 2014, 2016, 2017
- Kyle Chalmers – Swimming – 2015
- Jack Rossiter – Shooting - 2015
- Maeve Plouffe – Cycling - 2017
- Nikita Hains – Diving - 2019
- Angus Dawson – Rowing - 2019
Tokyo Paralympic team members who have received RGEADF*:
- Isabella Vincent – Swimming – 2019
*Full team selection yet to be finalised
For more information, visit: https://bit.ly/3hCPqyb