Sports Medicine Services
The high demands of elite sport make timely, effective illness and injury prevention or treatment integral to the successful development of our athletes.
SASI provides high quality medical services to coaches and athletes via an external network of experienced and highly regarded doctors, physiotherapists, massage therapists and dieticians.
Sports Medicine practitioners provide a holistic approach and support for our athletes and work closely with coaches and performance services staff.
Sports physicians have specialised medical training and knowledge to diagnose, treat and prevent sport specific illnesses and injuries.
Sport medical services include:
- organising appropriate, expert and rapid intervention in the case of illness or injury
- injury prevention programs and preventative screening examinations
- advice to coaches and athletes on the medical aspects of athletes training and competition programs
- cooperation in the research projects with the other SASI Sport Science disciplines
- information to coaches and athletes on drugs in sport issues
- coordinating medical and paramedical cover for interstate and overseas travel
- preparation and supply of first aid kits for touring teams and athletes.
Medical Coordinator / Sports Physician: Dr Geoff Verrall
Sports physiotherapists help athletes recover quickly from sporting injuries and provide education and interventions to prevent injury.
This is important given the high physical demands on athletes' muscles, joints and bones from daily training and rigorous competition.
Sports physiotherapists are experienced practitioners who have sport-specific evidence-based knowledge. They use effective 'hands-on' management techniques and exercise protocols to assist recovery and prevent injury.
Our sport physiotherapists provide integrated multidisciplinary solutions for athletes together with coaches, strength and conditioning coaches, sport scientists and psychologists.
Sports Physiotherapy Coordinator: Tim Bass